Tools, Hardware, Ironmongery and a whole lot more…Geo Spence and Sons Ltd or “Spence’s” is well known in Leeds as an “Aladdin’s Cave” of tools, hardware and ironmongery.
The store carries a extensive range of products including many hard to find items and with a diverse range of suppliers if we haven’t got it, we can probably get it.
High stock levels ensure that the majority of customer requirements are met the same day. Competitive pricing, quantity discounts and account facilities make the store popular with both trade and retail customers alike.
Originally a leather merchant, George abbreviated to “Geo” in the company name started the business with his wife Sarah in 1888 selling leather and developing leather goods.
The business grew rapidly and soon moved from a small shop in West Street to bigger premises at 52 Wellington Road and an additional shop in Beeston Road.
Becoming a limited company in 1951 the business continued to grow diversifying into ironmongery, electrical goods and DIY products.
This expansion also saw the Wellington Road shop add 54 & 56 and two cottages to the rear of 56 used to store bulky items including sand and cement!
In 1977 the shop moved to a new building at 105 Wellington Road to make way for the construction of the Armley Gyratory road system and we’ve been there ever since.